If you get arrested for driving under the influence, your license can be revoked for up to 2 years; however, you may qualify for a “restricted” driver’s license that allows you to drive if you meet certain conditions. In order to get a restricted license, you will need to:

  • pay to have an ignition interlock device (IID) installed in your car,
  • turn in proof that you have SR-22 insurance,
  • fill out the proper forms,
  • enroll in drug and alcohol treatment and education classes, and
  • pay a $95.00 license reinstatement fee

The length of how long you need to hold a restricted license depends on your BAC at the time you were arrested, whether you consented to a blood or breath test, and whether you have any past alcohol related driving convictions.


Charged with…

No driving at all for…

Can drive, but only with an IID for…

First DUI, DWAI, or DUI per se (BAC under .150) 1 month 9 months*
2+ DUI, DWAI, or DUI per se (BAC .150+) 1 month 2 years
Refused blood or breath test 2 months 2 years

*Offenders without prior DUIs or DWAIs can get their regular driving privileges back after four months if they don’t get any violations while they were driving with the IID.


What is an ignition interlock device (IID)?

An ignition interlock device (IID) is a small, handheld breathalyzer that connects to your car’s ignition. As a condition of your restricted license, you’ll have to blow into it before starting your car and from time to time while driving to prove to the state that you aren’t driving while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

If the device detects alcohol in your system, then your car will not start. If that happens three times within the same year, then your restricted license will be suspended and you’ll have to keep using the IID for up to a year longer. Trying to cheat the IID or getting caught driving a vehicle without an IID will led to your restricted license getting revoked and no being able to drive at all for at least a year.

The interlock device has to be serviced every sixty days or else your restricted license will be suspended until the IID gets checked. If the IID lease is cancelled before the required period of time is up then your restricted license will be suspended until you can get a new one.


How do I get an IID?

You can get your interlock device through companies that have already been approved by the state here, https://dmv.colorado.gov/approved-interlock-vendors.


How much does an IID cost?

In Colorado, the average cost for an ignition interlock device includes:

  • $70-$150 one-time installation fee,
  • $60-$80 calibration,
  • $90-$93 monthly fee, and a
  • $50-$100 removal fee

The total cost depends a lot on what type of car you drive, how long you have to have the IID installed, and what features your device is required to have.

You are responsible for paying all of the costs to install and maintain your ignition interlock device; however, certain DUI/DWAI offenders are able to get help paying for part of their IID costs. You can check whether or not you’re eligible here, https://dmv.colorado.gov/ILK-FinancialAssistance


What is SR22 insurance?

An SR-22 form is an official document that tells your insurance company that you’re a high-risk driver who needs more insurance coverage than drivers with clean driving records.

You’ll need to prove that you’ve bought this extra insurance in order to get a restricted license (even if you don’t own a car in some states). Choosing not to file an SR-22 after being charged with driving under the influence will cause your driver’s license to be suspended or even revoked.

The SR-22 form costs $25 to file, but having it means that your insurance premiums may become two to four times more expensive for at least three years. The Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can require you to have a SR-22 form on file for anywhere from three years until the rest of your life depending on whether or not you’ve been arrested for driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol before.


How do I get it?

Let your current insurance company know that you need an SR-22 Bond.


What other forms do I have to fill out?

You’ll have to download and fill out an Alcohol Certification (DR2598), Reinstatement Application (DR2870), and a Restricted License Ignition Interlock Agreement Affidavit (DR2058) in order to get your restricted license. You can find each form here,





Bring the completed forms to your nearest Colorado Department of Revenue office.


What drug and alcohol classes do I need to take?

Prior DUI/DWAI Charges?
Blood Alcohol Content (BAC)
Total Education and Treatment Required
Treatment Hours Required
Minimum Treatment Period
Education Hours Required
Minimum Education Period
No < .15 66 hours over 5 months 42 hours 21 weeks 24 hours 12 weeks
No ≥ .15 or refused to test 76 hours over 6 months 52 hours 26 weeks 24 hours 12 weeks
Yes < .15 92 hours over 8 months 68 hours 34 weeks 24 hours 12 weeks
Yes ≥ .15 or refused to test 110 hours over 10 months 86 hours 43 weeks 24 hours 12 weeks
Yes 4+ prior DUI/DWAI charges 180 hours over 18 months 180 hours 72 weeks 0 hours 0 weeks


You can find treatment and education classes through approved organizations here, https://www.colorado.gov/ladders.


Where do I pay my license reinstatement fee?

You can pay the $95 reinstatement fee at your nearest Colorado Department of Revenue office or online here, https://mydmv.colorado.gov/_/#1.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!