How to Get a Restricted Driver’s License

restricted license

If you get arrested for driving under the influence, your license can be revoked for up to 2 years; however, you may qualify for a “restricted” driver’s license that allows you to drive if you meet certain conditions. In order to get a restricted license, you will need to:

  • pay to have an ignition interlock device (IID) installed in your car,
  • turn in proof that you have SR-22 insurance,
  • fill out the proper forms,
  • enroll in drug and alcohol treatment and education classes, and
  • pay a $95.00 license reinstatement fee

The length of how long you need to hold a restricted license depends on your BAC at the time you were arrested, whether you consented to a blood or breath test, and whether you have any past alcohol related driving convictions.


Charged with…

No driving at all for…

Can drive, but only with an IID for…

First DUI, DWAI, or DUI per se (BAC under .150)1 month9 months*
2+ DUI, DWAI, or DUI per se (BAC .150+)1 month2 years
Refused blood or breath test2 months2 years

*Offenders without prior DUIs or DWAIs can get their regular driving privileges back after four months if they don’t get any violations while they were driving with the IID.


What is an ignition interlock device (IID)?

An ignition interlock device (IID) is a small, handheld breathalyzer that connects to your car’s ignition. As a condition of your restricted license, you’ll have to blow into it before starting your car and from time to time while driving to prove to the state that you aren’t driving while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

If the device detects alcohol in your system, then your car will not start. If that happens three times within the same year, then your restricted license will be suspended and you’ll have to keep using the IID for up to a year longer. Trying to cheat the IID or getting caught driving a vehicle without an IID will led to your restricted license getting revoked and no being able to drive at all for at least a year.

The interlock device has to be serviced every sixty days or else your restricted license will be suspended until the IID gets checked. If the IID lease is cancelled before the required period of time is up then your restricted license will be suspended until you can get a new one.


How do I get an IID?

You can get your interlock device through companies that have already been approved by the state here,


How much does an IID cost?

In Colorado, the average cost for an ignition interlock device includes:

  • $70-$150 one-time installation fee,
  • $60-$80 calibration,
  • $90-$93 monthly fee, and a
  • $50-$100 removal fee

The total cost depends a lot on what type of car you drive, how long you have to have the IID installed, and what features your device is required to have.

You are responsible for paying all of the costs to install and maintain your ignition interlock device; however, certain DUI/DWAI offenders are able to get help paying for part of their IID costs. You can check whether or not you’re eligible here,


What is SR22 insurance?

An SR-22 form is an official document that tells your insurance company that you’re a high-risk driver who needs more insurance coverage than drivers with clean driving records.

You’ll need to prove that you’ve bought this extra insurance in order to get a restricted license (even if you don’t own a car in some states). Choosing not to file an SR-22 after being charged with driving under the influence will cause your driver’s license to be suspended or even revoked.

The SR-22 form costs $25 to file, but having it means that your insurance premiums may become two to four times more expensive for at least three years. The Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can require you to have a SR-22 form on file for anywhere from three years until the rest of your life depending on whether or not you’ve been arrested for driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol before.


How do I get it?

Let your current insurance company know that you need an SR-22 Bond.


What other forms do I have to fill out?

You’ll have to download and fill out an Alcohol Certification (DR2598), Reinstatement Application (DR2870), and a Restricted License Ignition Interlock Agreement Affidavit (DR2058) in order to get your restricted license. You can find each form here,


Bring the completed forms to your nearest Colorado Department of Revenue office.


What drug and alcohol classes do I need to take?

Prior DUI/DWAI Charges?
Blood Alcohol Content (BAC)
Total Education and Treatment Required
Treatment Hours Required
Minimum Treatment Period
Education Hours Required
Minimum Education Period
No< .1566 hours over 5 months42 hours21 weeks24 hours12 weeks
No≥ .15 or refused to test76 hours over 6 months52 hours26 weeks24 hours12 weeks
Yes< .1592 hours over 8 months68 hours34 weeks24 hours12 weeks
Yes≥ .15 or refused to test110 hours over 10 months86 hours43 weeks24 hours12 weeks
Yes4+ prior DUI/DWAI charges180 hours over 18 months180 hours72 weeks0 hours0 weeks


You can find treatment and education classes through approved organizations here,


Where do I pay my license reinstatement fee?

You can pay the $95 reinstatement fee at your nearest Colorado Department of Revenue office or online here,

More Posts

cop stop

Surviving a Cop Stop

When talking to cops in any state, it’s important that you’re able to recognize and avoid the tricks they can use to get you to


A Guide to Protesting Safely

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” Martin Luther King, Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail Between all of the environmental, political, and social upset

Contact Me


Pueblo, Colorado


Copyright © Law Office of Matthew Scott Martin, LLC. All rights reserved. Web Design by Holistic Digital.

DISCLAIMER: This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues. Also, past results are not a predictor or guarantee of future outcomes.